A quick once-over of the items on this list may improve the safety and security of your home and could protect you and your loved ones. It is important to periodically pay attention to these items because our environment changes over time.
- Does each exterior door have a deadbolt?
- Do the locks on all windows work?
- Do you need pins or clips added to your windows for additional security?
- Do you have dowels or broom sticks in the track of windows and sliding glass doors?
- Do you have security company labels or signs displayed prominently?
- Do you have an alarm system? Is the system monitored?
- Do you have a dog that barks when strangers approach the home?
- Are emergency numbers posted near telephones?
- Do you have smoke detectors near all sleeping areas?
- Do you check the batteries monthly and change them annually?
- Do you have two carbon monoxide detectors?
- Do you have an escape ladder for upper floors?
- Do you have fire extinguishers near exits and in the kitchen?
- Do you have an emergency escape plan and is the family familiar with it?
- Are any outlets or switches warm to the touch?
- Are kitchen ventilation systems working properly?
- Is the dryer ventilated to the outside and is the exhaust free of lint?
- Is the furnace cleaned and serviced yearly?
- Is the space around the hot water heater clear of combustible materials?